The term-time helpline closes for the summer on Friday 14th July at 5pm.
**Need help? Call our Helpline!
Call 0208 538 3731
We offer advice on:
- getting the right help for your child
- dealing with the school or local authority
- interpreting official letters
- obtaining an EHCP for your child
- finding independent expert professional advice
- appealing to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal
Please note that we are unable to call people back on the helpline. All of our volunteers work from different locations and they do not have access to the answer machine facility to call back. If you are unable to get through to the helpline, then it is best to try again - once a caller finishes talking to our adviser the line will be free again. We also have 8 advice centres where you can visit for face-to-face advice.
Our helpline is usually manned every weekday between 9:30am and 12:30pm and between 2pm and 5pm and on Tuesday evenings from 8pm to 10pm. A reduced service may operate on Friday afternoons.
The helpline may also be closed during volunteer training sessions, please see below for any closure dates.
The term-time helpline will be open between the following dates:
- Mon 5 June - Fri 14 July
The helpline will be closed for training on the following dates:
Getting the best from the Helpline
When you phone us you will find us very welcoming and informal but do make sure you:-
- Have all your papers in order with you, so that you can refer to them easily.
- Try to note down beforehand the key points e.g. all the needs you know or feel your child may have, the name of the local authority you live in and any information from the school.
We do understand that parents are very stressed when they call and it will be so very much easier to ensure that we give you the best advice possible if we have a concise but complete account of your concerns. It also ensures that not only can your case be dealt with well, but that more parents can be helped during the session time available.
Before you contact us, and so that we can provide the best possible advice, it might also be helpful if you have:
- A copy of the SEN Code of Practice.
A PDF version of the SEND Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years (from September 2014) can be downloaded from the Department of Education website .
For those with Statements the previous code of practice remains valid until 2018, a PDF version of this SEN Code of Practice is .
- There is other useful information, including a Guide for Parents which can be found .